In April 2020, Republic Services announced its $20 million initiative "Committed to Serve" as a way to honor its frontline employees and support our local small business customers to help keep our communities thriving. Learn more...
Proudly Serviced by Republic Services, Inc.
Republic Services provides exclusive recycling and waste collection services for residential and commercial accounts for the City of Los Alamitos. We offer one-stop shopping for all of the city's waste removal needs. Although we specialize in recycling and solid waste collection, our services go far beyond just emptying the trash bins.
Each residence receives one set of carts, consisting of trash (tan), recycling (blue), and green waste (green). Upon request, Republic Services will provide 1 free additional recycling cart. Please contact our customer service department at
online to schedule a delivery or replacement.
Acceptable and Unacceptable materials:
All glass bottles and jars
All plastics labeled #1-7
Aluminum and tin cans
Cereal boxes (please remove liners)
Plastic bags (bagged in a bag)
Plastic milk containers
White ledger paper
Juice and Milk boxes
Ceramics (dishes, etc.)
Window or safety glasses
Additional Residential Services:
Household Hazardous Waste Collection at your Curb
- Electronics, paint, cleaners, aerosol cans, motor oil, antifreeze, batteries, pesticides, fluorescent light bulbs, and many other items should NOT go in your regular trash as they could be of harm to the environment.
- Most cities require you to visit a special facility to dispose of these items, but in Los Alamitos, you simply call Republic Services and we’ll arrange for a certified specialist to collect your HHW at home!
HHW collections will occur on the FIRST WEDNESDAY every month.
- Please call
800-299-4898 at least 48 hours in advance and provide the description of the items you wish to dispose of. It’s that easy!
- If you aren’t sure your item is hazardous, please call customer service to verify how you should dispose of the item properly.
- Single Family Residential Customers shall receive two (2) bulk item(s) picked up per year for free.
- Bulk items serviced on Thursdays only.
- Bulk items include furniture (chairs, sofas, mattresses, and rugs); appliances (refrigerators, ranges, washers, dryers, water heaters, dishwashers, plumbing, and small household appliances); and electronic waste.
- Please contact Republic Services 24 hours in advance of pick up at
Holiday Tree Collection
- Republic Services will collect Christmas trees commencing the day after Christmas and culminating 2 weeks after December 25th. Trees should be cut to no longer than 5 feet. The lights, ornaments, and tree stands must be removed before placing at the curbside.
Effective July 1, 2012, the State of California passed Assembly Bill 341 (AB 341) which requires mandatory recycling for multi-family residential dwellings of five (5) units or more and businesses that generate more than 4-cubic yards of commercial solid waste per week.
Additionally, some businesses and apartment and condominium complexes are required to recycle organics, such as yard and food waste, as a result of Assembly Bill 1826 (AB 1826). The organics recycling requirements are being phased in over the next several years. The largest generators were required to put programs in place as of April 1, 2016, and more businesses and multi-family properties will be required to have programs as of January 1, 2017. Visit
CalRecycle Commercial Organics to learn more about this law.
If you are ready to expand or improve your commercial or multi-family recycling program, Republic Services can perform a free waste assessment and create an All-in-One Recycling™ plan for your business. Republic Services can also provide organic containers for a fee, posters, and additional tools. Republic is ready to be Your Waste Stream Advisor™. Call our customer service at
800-299-4898 or request assistance through Republic Services, available at
RepublicOnline.com or through the downloaded app.