Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your questions about Republic Services waste and recycling services for Albany area.

What about numbers on plastic containers?

We recycle plastic based on container shapes and do not use the numbers. Recycle plastic bottles and jugs only.

Can I recycle plastic pots? (Used for plants)

No, the only plastics accepted are bottles and jugs. Donate nursery pots for reuse or place them in the trash.

Can I recycle plastic grocery bags?

Plastic bags and film can’t be recycled in the commingled cart. This material can be recycled at most large grocery stores. Be sure plastic bags are clean.

Is Styrofoam recyclable?

Styrofoam can be recycled at St Vincent de Paul in Albany, but cannot go in the commingled cart.

What do I do with shredded paper?

This material cannot go in the commingled cart as it falls through the sorting machinery and contaminates other recycling. Instead, try using a shredding service, going through your bank or avoiding shredding when possible. Shredding also shortens the paper fibers and reduces the number of times it can be recycled.

How much yard debris can I put out and not be charged extra?

To avoid extra charges, the lid on your yard debris cart must close. This allows the truck to empty the cart without debris spilling on to the street.

What can I do with food scraps?

Call the office to order a home composter at no additional charge.

How many months am I billed for?

Most customers are bill for two months at a time.

Can I put small animals in the garbage?

Double bag and place in garbage.

Are window glass and mirrors recyclable?

No. They must be bagged and placed in your garbage container. Recycle glass bottles and jars only in your glass bin.

Are plastic CD covers recyclable?

No. Neither is the CD itself.

Can animal waste go in the yard debris container?

No, it needs to be bagged and placed into the garbage container (double bagged, preferred). Remember, if you wouldn’t like it in your compost, it doesn’t go in the yard debris cart.

Can I put wood in the yard waste and how much?

Small amounts of untreated wood can go into your yard debris container. Limbs should be no larger than six inches in diameter. Remember, the cart lid should close.

What do I do with excess yard waste or sod?

Large amounts of yard waste or sod can be taken to Pacific Region Compost for disposal.

How do I dispose of Hazardous Waste?

Hazardous Waste events are held once a year in both Albany and Lebanon. Check calendar for dates and times.

What Hazardous Materials are accepted?
Automotive Fluids
Light Ballasts
E-waste including monitors, computers, laptops and televisions
Anything labeled: Caustic, Poisonous, Danger, Hazardous or flammable

Can I pay my bill online?

Is paperless billing available?

How do I start service or get a price quote?

Starting service is easy. Call us today at 541-928-2551 or use the contact us page on this website.

How often am I billed?

Residential customers are billed every other month for two months at a time.

What time do I have to have my containers out?

6:00 am or the night before your service day.

What holidays will affect my pick up day?

We work Monday through Friday, including all holidays. Please have carts out the night before the holiday, as your driver may come by a little earlier than normal in order to get home to spend the holiday with their family.

Are there any other conditions that would prevent collection of my carts?

Yes, inclement weather can sometimes mean that our trucks are unable to run normal routes. If it is unsafe to have our trucks and drivers on the road, trash and recycling will be picked up one day later after for the rest of the week.

How much material can I put out without being charged for extras?

The lid on your cart must close in order to avoid extra charges. Extra bags beside the cart will be collected at an extra fee.

Does the trash inside the cart have to be bagged?

No, all material in the cart must fit in the cart so that the lid closes all the way, but it does not need to be inside a bag.

Do you take large items?

Yes, please call the office 24 hours in advance of your service day to schedule pick up of large items. There will be a nominal fee for this service based on the type of item.

What happens when I go on vacation?

If you will be away for two weeks or more, you can call to have your service put on a temporary vacation hold. Your bill will be prorated.

What if I think I have been missed?

Drivers may come by anytime from 6:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. There are a variety of reasons that the driver may not come at the time you are used to, including; substitute drivers, construction, breakdown, etc. If your cart was out by 6:00 a.m. and it has not been picked up by late afternoon, please call the office.

Is my recycling collected on the same day as trash?

Yes, all of your carts will be collected on the same service day each week. Yard debris and glass are collected every other week on opposite weeks.

How should my carts be placed at the curb?

Carts should be in the street or on the curb with the wheels facing the house. Please place carts at least 4 feet apart to allow room for the truck’s automated arm.

What if there is a bike lane in front of my house?

Carts should be placed in the area between the curb and bike lane, leaving the bike lane clear for bike traffic. If there is no space between bike lane and curb, please place carts on the curb, creating a safe lane for cyclist. Never place carts in the bike lane at night.

I have heard various names for you company, why is that?

Republic Services is a leading provider of solid waste collection, recycling and disposal services. Our local offices have operated under the name Allied Waste of Albany-Lebanon and Albany-Lebanon Sanitation before that. In 2013 we transitioned to the Republic Services name. Regardless of the name, you can expect the same great service you have always received from our company from the same people you have worked with in the past.